Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Facebook

I can't believe I was saying it was hot in my last blog. Just two days ago we were almost hitting 40 degrees. I'm not complaining though, although it is nice to have a far cooler day today with a lovely breeze.

Christmas and New years have been and gone and I have been completely preoccupied so the blogging has taken a back seat. I must get back into it though as I have a couple of great ideas up my sleeve and some recipes that have been very successful so am busting to share them with you.

I am completely addicted to Facebook. So that will also have to take some of the blame for why I have been so slack with the blogging. I managed to break my addiction there for a while but I have met some great people on there and the support group for allergies is second to none. They have helped me stay relatively sane during this whole allergy journey and there are a great number of knowledgeable people on there who share their ideas, opinions and experiences with a sense of humour and a concern for all involved. It is through Facebook (and my local library) that I have managed to gather a great variety of recipe ideas and names of companies who cater for those of us with allergies.

I won't lie, not all of my trials with recipes are a success but if you don't try you never know. My first Gingerbread house experience was one such failure. I took it into my head that making a gingerbread house would be a great idea for the kids so went out and invested in a gingerbread cutter kit. I'm not a great one for following instructions and in this case I should have as I made the walls using the roof cutter and by the time I realised my mistake I was well and truly over making ginger bread anything ( the 4 batches of gingerbread men probably didn't help in this circumstance). So the house was doomed to failure. The kids didn't care, they decorated away and ate to their hearts galore. In fact I think it was great fun for them and I have committed myself to doing it all over again next year. Stupidly threatening to compete with some friends whose houses are all architectural extravaganzas compared to mine damn my competitive nature!

I'm disappointed I didn't make brandy snaps this Christmas with coconut cream (with a touch of vanilla) but I may make them for a special dessert and surprise the family. The brandy snap recipe is in fact very similar to the gingerbread recipe, perhaps that's why I lacked the desire. If you would like to give it a go check out the recipe.


Gluten Free, egg free and dairy free brandy snaps

70g rice bran oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup golden syrup
1/2 cup Orgran Multipurpose gluten free flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger

Directions

Make the brandy snap dough the day before you need it. Store in the fridge.
Place butter, syrup and sugar in pan over low/medium heat until butter is melted. Stir.
Add flour and ginger.

Preheat oven to 180°C.
Line baking trays with nonstick paper.
Place 3 teaspoon scoops on each tray leave space between as they do spread out.
Bake 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven; let stand for 1 minute.
Wrap around large wooden spoon handle till set.
Store in an air-tight container with layers of baking paper between.

Serve with coconut/vanilla whipped cream. Divine!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment